Location: Fairfield, Iowa
Salary: $42,000.00-$55,000.00/ annually Depending on Qualifications
Deadline: Open until filled.
The Naturalist job is a full-time, permanent position with the Jefferson County Conservation Board. The person in this position, under the general supervision of the Director, will plan, develop, coordinate, and present environmental education and interpretive programs for schools, youth and adult groups and the general public; develops related written, audiovisual, and display materials; and performs related duties as required in order to educate the public and encourage their participation in program goals and objectives.
Job duties include but are not limited to presenting educational programs; design and construct nature center displays; assist with resource management; design kiosk information and brochures; promotes programs and activities through website, newsletter, etc.
This position includes standard county benefits. Starting salary range of $42,000-55,000/yr. depending on qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of Iowa’s flora, fauna and ecosystems and natural lands management practices
• Ability to develop, plan and conduct environmental education programs
• Maintain environmental education materials, all living and non-living displays and equipment
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Knowledge of general office procedures including the ability to operate a computer, printer, phones, etc.
• Creativity, enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, poise, sense of humor, and a willingness to grow and stay current in the field
• Ability to comprehend, analyze, interpret and explain conservation laws
• Knowledge in such program areas as canoeing, kayaking, camping, fishing, biking, hiking, archery, firearms safety, hunting and trapping
• Ability to speak confidently before audiences using correct English and a well-modulated voice
• Able to assist with daily office and Nature Center functions such as answering phones, photocopying, computer work, filing, cleaning and other tasks as directed.
• Ability to represent the Conservation Board in a professional, responsible, and trustworthy manner
Physical and Mental Abilities:
Proficient in the use of audio-visual equipment and computer literacy; able to operate motor vehicle. Heavy mobility duties are usually performed by frequent walking and/or standing, kneeling, or squatting relieved by lesser periods of sitting or operating a vehicle.
Good vision is required, either uncorrected or corrected through the use of lens.
Physical ability to lift light articles, sometimes weighing up to 50 pounds maximum and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds, pushing and/or pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds maximum.
Ability to work without direct supervision.
Normally not exposed to significant occupational hazards which would cause bodily injury. The person must be able to work outdoors in all seasons of the year. Non-standard work week. Must be able to work flexible hours and days, with some weekend and evening hours.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirement of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related responsibilities and tasks other than those state in this specification.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old, have no major criminal convictions, be insurable under the county’s insurance policy and must be able to get to and from work. A current valid driver’s license is required.
Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in environmental education, natural resources, biology or a related field. Prefer experience as an interpretive naturalist or school teacher.
Equivalent combination of education and experience which provide the required knowledge and abilities may be considered.
Jefferson County, Iowa is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To Apply – Email resume, cover letter and references to: email@example.com